A Playlist Blog for The Wednesday Buzz On CFCR 90.5 FM in Saskatoon. Tune in from 5-6 pm.

Monday, November 11, 2013

Remembrance, reflection

Today, I filled in for Janelle and Camille. Happy to help out my alternate hosts!

Today was also a day to remember. Sure, long weekends are nice, but this one is more than just some welcome statutory holiday. It's a day that we pause as Canadians to remember those who defended us. Veterans believed so passionately in their country, they gave everything they had - some giving their lives - to protect freedom. That should be respected and honoured.

In preparation for my show today, I wanted to have a "remembrance day" kind of song. I did a bit of research, and found this lovely song that was popular in the days during the World War II era, by Vera Lynn. I have a link to that song below. I got teary, for several reasons (one being that I am a sap), but I love its beauty and message.


Mary Meets the Pilot - Boxer the Horse
Red Quarter - PS I love you
Crack in the Head - Analog Bell Service
Michigan Left - The Arkells
Paper in your pocket - The Elwins
I will follow you into the dark - Amy Millan
What are they doing in heaven today? - The Be Good Tanyas
Who are you? - Kathryn Calder
Comme des enfants - Coeur de pirate
Lost in the Light - Bahamas
Always - Army Girls
Bodies of Fiction - Library Voices*
Bones - Young Benjamins*
Spring Romance - Bend Sinister
Sing - Blur
Cecilia Ann - The Pixies
Identity - Austra
Are you gonna waste my time? - Zeus
Hold on to the metal - Royal Canoe
Left and Leaving - The Weakerthans
We'll meet again - Vera Lynn
Back in the Fall - Zachary Lucky*
All the money I had is gone - Deep Dark Woods*
My moon, my man - Feist
Breathing underwater - Metric
Islands - We Were Lovers*

*Denotes Saskatchewan-based artists

See you on Thursday, as I fill in for Brendan one more time!

xo, Kath

No comments:

Post a Comment