A Playlist Blog for The Wednesday Buzz On CFCR 90.5 FM in Saskatoon. Tune in from 5-6 pm.

Thursday, April 10, 2014

My Love Letter to Saskatoon ♥

So, today (April 10) was a very special show!

I am not sure why I hadn't quite done this yet, but today it was all about bands associated with the SEXY YXE. These are artists I played were a mixture of current Saskatoon acts, those from away who have settled here, and those who may be elsewhere but will always call the Paris of the Prairies home.

I usually make a strong effort to feature Saskatoon/Saskatchewan-based artists because the musical talent here - as I've discovered as someone who was not born and raised in the province - is seemingly endless and even more varied. In keeping that our annual membership drive (happening right now!) encourages Saskatonians to support their local scene, while also enjoying the many benefits a membership offers, I wanted to really highlight some of the artists that make this city so special and unique.

It's a conversation I've gotten into with people here and a concept that I am fascinated and in love with. I am not sure who originally said it, but I love that a folk artist can go to a metal/punk show and feel at home and get a hug from his or her musical comrade. While contributing some written pieces to an amazing book chronicling the Saskatoon musical landscape, I was able to really see the collaborative and cohesive heart that this city proudly (and humbly) boasts. Bands share members easily, work together on albums, record together and just...mesh. It's freakin' amazing.

Here is my Made in Saskatoon ♥ playlist for April 10:

See You When I Go - The Steadies
When the Storm Clears - The Karpinka Brothers
33 Stars - Suzie Vinnick
Light - Jeans Boots
The Lonely Cricket - Jen Lane
The Driving Song - Kirby Criddle
When the Wind Wakes Me - Six Moons Later
Islands - We Were Lovers
Breezy Day - The Fjords
Bonfire - Close Talker
Forevermore (Wah! Oh!) - Volcanoless in Canada
True Hearts - Foam Lake
Rejoice, Remain - Junior Pantherz
Nebula - The Browntones
From Nowhere - Economics
Mr. Pito - Oral Fuentes
Dance of the Fox - Bass Invaders
500 Metres - Deep Dark Woods
Saskatchewan - Zachary Lucky
Le pays du ciel vivant - Alexis Normand
Time Running - Seahags
The Middle Road - The Sheepdogs
Lonely Sunday - Jordan Cook
Predator II - Shooting Guns
Melted Mixtape - Carbon Dating Service

<3

See you on April 17!



No comments:

Post a Comment